Faculty of Physics and Mathematics
You are now standing on the threshold of a responsible decision - choosing a future profession! Our faculty has always successfully combined youth and maturity. Youth is represented by students, their optimism, their love of life and healthy ambitions. Maturity is the traditions of the faculty, its teachers, an amazing atmosphere of the joint creativity of teachers and students. We are proud of our achievements and our graduates who work in the field of education and science. We welcome anyone who have decided to tie their future with a difficult but respected profession of the teacher, and we clearly understand the extent of responsibility for the success of our students. We do not doubt that by enrolling in our faculty, you will make the right choice!
Dean of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics
The Faculty of Physics and Mathematics is one of the oldest faculties of the Pedagogical University. For more than 80 years of history, the faculty has trained more than seven thousand specialists who work in schools, universities, bodies of education and are engaged in science and politics.
The mission of the faculty is the preparation of competitive professionals in the field of physics and mathematics education, informatics, information technologies and theoretical physics using advanced scientific achievements, modern educational and information technologies.
The Faculty consist of seven Departments:
• Department of Informatics
• Department of Mathematics, Theory and Methods of Teaching Mathematics
• Department of Mathematical Analysis
• Department of General Physics
• Department of Theoretical Physics
• Department of Information Technologies
• Department of General Informatics
Highly qualified pedagogical staff of the faculty ensures the highest level of teaching. Professional merits and achievements of many Faculty members are marked by various awards.
Among the outstanding scientists who worked at the faculty are:
• Honored Scientist of the RSFSR, Professor F.E. Molin, who was founder of mathematical education in the whole of Western Siberia;
• Associate Professor А.М. Venderovich, the first head of the Department of General Physics, thanks to Venderovich, the teaching of physical disciplines in the Tosmk State Pedagogical University was organized, the first physical classrooms were created;
•D.A. Demidenko, the first methodologist-physicist, the dean of the faculty from 1939 to 1941;
• A.E. Popko, the first teacher of the methodology of teaching mathematics and the first head of students’ internship;
• I.I. Chistyakov, one of the first methodologists-mathematicians;
• Professor V.A. Maleev, D.D. Ivanenko, A.A. Sokolov;
• Soviet and Russian theoretical physicist I.V. Tyutin, doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor, chief researcher of the The Lebedev Physical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, candidate for corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
• S.D. Odintsov, doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor, foreign member of the Norwegian Academy of Sciences, currently a professor at the University of Barcelona, Spain;
• the first head of the department of theoretical physics V.A. Bordovitsyn, currently a doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor of TSU, together with his students and collaborators, he created a new scientific direction for the university: the theory of radiation of relativistic particles and etc.
There are unique scientific schools at our faculty that conduct scientific research at the world level in various fields. The most famous of them are:
Science school of theoretical and mathematical physics, headed by Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation, Professor Buchbinder I. L., that since 2003 has been repeatedly receiving support from the Russian President’s Grant Council as the Russian leading scientific institution;
Science school on the methodology of math teaching - "Mathematics. Psychology. Intellect" under the guidance of the doctor of pedagogical sciences, Professor Gelfman E.G. Within the framework of this school a new direction in the method of teaching had developed, based on taking into account the psychological patterns of students' intellectual activity.
The faculty closely cooperates with other structural divisions of the university. Students and teachers of the faculty have a unique opportunity to form and improve their professional skills in the Center for Additional Physics and Mathematics and Science Education, opened in 2011 on the initiative of the TSPU Rector V.V. Obukhov. The Center's tasks include the promotion of the professional growth of teachers; disclosure of intellectual potential of children; popularization of physical and mathematical and natural sciences; improving children’s results in state examinations, competitions; assistance in the social and professional self-determination of students.
One of the modern directions that is being developed at the faculty is the educational robotics. In the Children's Center for Educational Robotics, created at the faculty, students together with children are engaged in scientific and technical creativity, apply their knowledge gained during the educational robotics courses.
The faculty has been actively establishing connections with foreign universities: Germany (Leipzig University, Leibniz University of Hannover, Humboldt University of Berlin); Spain (University of Barcelona, Zaragoza University); Brazil (University of São Paulo, Federal University of Juice de Fora); Japan (Hiroshima University, Kyoto University); the USA (Universities of North Carolina, Ohio, Florida, Baltimore, Oklahoma); Norway (University of Trondheim); Italy (University of Rome and University of Padua); France (Ecole Polytechnic, Paris), etc.
Academic exchange activities have also been actively developing. Recently our students have participated in internships in Japan, Kazakhstan, Poland, Mongolia.
However, students' life is not only about lectures, laboratory classes, seminars, but also about participation in contests, festivals, sports competitions. Our students have the opportunity to discover and develop their abilities and talents by engaging in choreography, floristry, in the visual and theatrical studios.
In order to provide students with professional guidance, the faculty organizes meetings with the leading scientists and teachers of Russia and abroad. In summer, the students of the faculty work as teachers at the children playgrounds of the city and in the summer camps. Having received a diverse and profound education, our graduates work in various fields. Some become teachers, scientists and teachers of higher education, others work for IT industry, in state structures, in business. A solid foundation you receive at the Faculty will allow you to meet the challenges of the future and build a successful career!
- Information systems and technologies, «IT in education»
- Pedagogical education (including two profiles), «Mathematics» and «informatics» Bachelor «Mathematics» and «Physics»
- Applied mathematics and informatics, «Applied informatics»
- Physics, «Theoretical physics»
- Pedagogical education, «Mathematics education»
- Pedagogical education, «Physics education»