Faculty of Physics and Mathematics
You are now standing on the threshold of a responsible decision - choosing a future profession! Our faculty has always successfully combined youth and maturity. Youth is represented by students, their optimism, their love of life, and healthy ambitions. Maturity is the traditions of the faculty, its teachers, an amazing atmosphere of the joint creativity of teachers and students. We are proud of our achievements and our graduates who work in the field of education and science. We welcome anyone who has decided to tie their future with a difficult but respected profession of the teacher, and we clearly understand the extent of responsibility for the success of our students. We do not doubt that by enrolling in our faculty, you will make the right choice!
Dean of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics
The Faculty of Physics and Mathematics is one of the oldest faculties of the Pedagogical University. For more than 80 years of history, the faculty has trained more than seven thousand specialists who work in schools, universities, bodies of education and are engaged in science and politics.
The mission of the faculty is the preparation of competent professionals in the field of physics and mathematics education, informatics, information technologies, and theoretical physics using advanced scientific achievements, modern educational and information technologies.
THE FACULTY INCLUDES:
- Department of Informatics
- Department of Mathematics, Theory and Methods of Teaching Mathematics
- Department of Mathematical Analysis
- Department of General Physics
- Department of Theoretical Physics
- Department of Information Technologies
- Department of General Informatics
The highly qualified pedagogical staff of the faculty ensures the highest level of teaching. The professional merits and achievements of many members of our faculty are marked by various awards.
Among the outstanding scientists who worked at the faculty are:
• Honored Scientist of the RSFSR, Professor F. E. Molin, who was founder of mathematical education in the whole Western Siberia;
• Associate Professor А. М. Venderovich, the first head of the Department of General Physics. Thanks to Venderovich, the teaching of physical disciplines in the Tomsk State Pedagogical University was organized, the first physical classrooms were created;
• D. A. Demidenko, the first methodologist-physicist, the dean of the faculty from 1939 to 1941;
• A. E. Popko, the first teacher of the methodology of teaching mathematics and the first head of academic internship;
• I. I. Chistyakov, one of the first methodologists-mathematicians;
• Professors V. A. Maleev, D. D. Ivanenko, A. A. Sokolov;
• Soviet and Russian theoretical physicist I. V. Tyutin, doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor, chief researcher of The Lebedev Physical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, candidate for corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
• S. D. Odintsov, doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor, foreign member of the Norwegian Academy of Sciences, currently a professor at the University of Barcelona, Spain;
• the first head of the department of theoretical physics V. A. Bordovitsyn, currently a doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor of the TSU, together with his students and collaborators, created a new scientific direction for the university: the theory of radiation of relativistic particles and etc.
There are unique scientific schools at our faculty that carry out scientific research at the world level in various fields. The most famous of them are:
Science school of theoretical and mathematical physics, headed by Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation, Professor I. L. Buchbinder, that since 2003 has been repeatedly receiving support from the Russian President’s Grant Council as the Russian leading scientific institution;
Science school on the methodology of math teaching "Mathematics. Psychology. Intellect" under the guidance of the doctor of pedagogical sciences, Professor E. G. Gelfman. Within the framework of this school, a new direction in the method of teaching had developed, based on psychological patterns of students' intellectual activity.
The faculty closely cooperates with other structural divisions of the university. Students and teachers of the faculty have a unique opportunity to form and improve their professional skills in the Center for Additional Physics and Mathematics and Science Education, which opened in 2011 on the initiative of the TSPU Rector V. V. Obukhov. The Center's tasks include the promotion of the professional growth of teachers; disclosure of intellectual potential of children; popularization of physical and mathematical and natural sciences; improving children’s results in state examinations, competitions; assistance in the social and professional self-determination of students.
One of the modern directions that are being developed at the faculty is educational robotics. In the Children's Center for Educational Robotics at the faculty students together with children are engaged in scientific and technical creativity, apply their knowledge gained during the educational robotics courses.
The faculty has been actively establishing connections with foreign universities: Germany (Leipzig University, Leibniz University of Hannover, Humboldt University of Berlin); Spain (University of Barcelona, Zaragoza University); Brazil (University of São Paulo, Federal University of Juice de Fora); Japan (Hiroshima University, Kyoto University); the USA (Universities of North Carolina, Ohio, Florida, Baltimore, Oklahoma); Norway (University of Trondheim); Italy (University of Rome and University of Padua); France (Ecole Polytechnic, Paris), etc.
Academic exchange activities have also been actively developing. Our students participate in academic internships in Japan, Kazakhstan, Poland, Mongolia.
However, student life is not only lectures, laboratory classes, seminars, but also contests, festivals, sports competitions. Our students have the opportunity to discover and develop their abilities and talents by engaging in choreography, floristry, in the visual and theatrical studios.
In order to provide students with professional guidance, the faculty organizes meetings with the leading scientists and teachers of Russia and abroad. In summer, the students of the faculty work as teachers at the children's playgrounds of the city and in the summer camps. Having received a diverse and profound education, our graduates work in various fields. Some become teachers, scientists, and teachers of higher education, others work in IT industry, in state structures, in business. A solid foundation that you will receive at our faculty will allow you to meet the challenges of the future and build a successful career!
|Training program||Program's code||Degree||Study mode||Entrance tests|
|Information systems and technologies: IT in education||09.03.02||Bachelor||4 yrs.||5 yrs.||
|Pedagogical education (with two training profiles), Mathematics and Informatics||44.03.05||Bachelor||5 yrs.||—||
|Pedagogical education (with two training profiles), Mathematics and Physics||44.03.05||Bachelor||5 yrs.||—||
|Applied mathematics and informatics||01.04.02||Master||2 yrs.||—||
|Pedagogical education: Physics and Mathematics||44.04.01||Master||2 yrs.||—||